I really enjoyed this one and thought I would read the other books - until the last chapter or two. I still may read the others, but there is already so much on my 'too read' list.
I liked the intrigue. I liked Lyra and her talent for lying. I liked the idea of daemons and wish I had one. The action was well written and I liked the bears and how they shouldn't try to be human. I liked the witches and how they mourned the loss of their husbands and sons due to their long life.
But the bulk of the anti-organized religion was at the end. The Gobblers were doing all those horrible things because of Original Sin? I have to hand it to Pullman that if I were to write something that was anti-Catholic/Christian, I would also choose their dumbest teaching. But he doesn't explain why infant baptism doesn't fix original sin (in the eyes of these people). He doesn't explain the relation between Dust and original sin.
Out of curiosity to anyone who's read the other books, do we find out what Dust is? Or is how everyone reacts to it and their quest for it more important than what it is? Like the sugar bowl in A Series of Unfortunate Events?
Wednesday, March 31, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment