I have learned about so many books and PETA ads because the Catholic church has come out against them, and the Golden Compass is obviously one of those.
I've decided to read The Golden Compass and not think about the message everyone attributes to it and not think about the author's views. Sure that's probably impossible, but I want to see what I read into it because of my own views. The book's message is what the reader gets from it.
A good example of this is a TV show, Babylon 5. J. Michael Straczynski is a leftist atheist dove-type person and yet all his characters are motivated by some sort of spirituality as they embark on a series of justified wars. My conservative hawkish self loves it. But leftist doveish people also love it because they think the characters are fighting against conservative hawkish tyrants.
So yeah, I'm reading this to see what I will see. I've been told it's a dull book, but I'm enjoying it thus far. I might not get it all read this month because the final Fablehaven is coming out and that trumps all.
Wednesday, March 17, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment