Some things to consider as you read Cider House Rules (if you choose to read it):
What about rules? In this book, you will find ambiguities surrounding posted/official rules, perceived rules, and "the" rules--for a variety of situations. As I thought about this, I realized the number of times I have caught myself saying, or heard someone around me saying, "Yes, I know the rules, but this is the way we do it around here....."
The characters: Besides Dr Larch and Homer, this book is rich in interesting and challenging personalities. You will meet the staff, orphans, and board of St Clouds, the crowd at "Ocean View," and a few others. One of the most intruiging, heart-breaking, interesting, and (in the end) redeeming characters to me is Melony. See what you think.
My favorite scene: the excitement at St. Clouds when they were participating in the birth of a "wanted" baby.
And the big question, what about "the Lord's work" ("delivering" the baby or the mother)? I'll start with my opinion because I know many people find it very hard to talk about, or hold such passionate and opposing views concerning it that they can't even discuss it.
First let me say that I consider myself to be pro-life. As you read this book, I think you will find that my opinion probably most closely mirrors Homer. Being pro-life, it might surprise you to hear that I do not believe abortion should be illegal. I believe that it is one of those issues that should NOT be legislated at all; its discussion and resolution does not belong in the legislative arena. I think it is a medical issue that is a very personal (and obviously difficult and horrendous) decision to be made by the mother and her doctor, and potentially the father (IF the pregnancy was not the result of rape or incest, i.e., if the pregnancy was the result of consensual relations), and clergy (if that opinion is important to the couple).
And finally, I think that medical personnel should be able to make their own decisions about whether or not they are willing to perform abortions, without being punished for that decision (whichever way it goes). I know that 33 years ago (3 years after Roe vs. Wade), when I went to the Ob/Gyn for the first time, one of the things the doctor made very clear in our "getting to know you" meeting, was that "you need to know that this office does not consider abortion to be a legitimate form of birth control." Now to me, that did not say that they would never, ever, no matter what perform an abortion, but that the consideration of that surgery would not be easily or frivolously undertaken.
So there's my food for thought and discussion as you begin to delve into this book.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Well, I am interested to start this book. I need to go get it!
I'm excited to read it, hopefully I can start tonight.
Hey Beckee. You can get it at Alibris for $1.99. And I think right now, you can get free shipping as well! Bargain!
http://www.alibris.com/booksearch
Post a Comment